Monday, April 15, 2013

oh how crazy was the morning—email from 04-15-13

We had a fun morning. Sister Neibaur had to get an MRI. And wow did it take forever. Luckily I was a week behind in my journal, so I had plenty to keep me busy while I waited. They turned her into a pin cushion though because they couldn't get a vein to inject the contrast. So she is covered in needle pricks that will soon be bruises. That is going to be fun to try to explain...

We had a great week working in the heat. Jacksonville finally decided to warm up. It was great to not have to wear a sweater everywhere for once. We got to make a few trips to the hospital for different members that were there. It felt like old times at St Luke's with Michelle. :) 

Sunday was probably my favorite day though. We went to a different church...

One of our investigators invited us to come to her church. On the sole purpose of showing us how ridiculous they were in comparison to us. And boy was it crazy. The service started out basically like a concert with all the lights out and the band performing. Then the pastor jumped in and was preaching while the band was still going. I was having a hard time keeping up. He preached for a while, and then it went to a commercial...literally...he walked off the stage and said start the commercial...Then they tried to get us all to tithe. What I did have to commend is that they have a food bank and clothes that they give out after services to anyone in need. I just wasn't expecting rock music. And it wasn't a chapel. It was a room with a stage and chairs set up around it. It was very very different. It's a new age church. There was no communion, hymns, or prayers. Well, there kind of were prayers. Just not in the sense I'm used to. There were a few times the pastor locked eyes on us and I could tell he was confused because there were these two young white girls on the back row. And we both wore white sweaters so our name tags stood out. But he didn't call us out or anything like I thought might happen. So all's well that ends well. :) 

Overall it was just a learning experience. It taught me how much our services can seem foreign and strange to people who have had it one way their whole life. I was glad we were invited. The only bummer is that we had to missed Relief Society yesterday to go do it. :( So I don't know anything about this fantastic lesson that some of you mentioned. 

oh oh oh!!! Someone took us to a Hibachi grill on Saturday!!! Oh my goodness! It was so much fun!!! I got salmon...mmmmm fresh grilled salmon right in front of you face. Delicious. We had such a fun time.

I hope it's been a great week for you! It has been for me. 

I love thinking about change every day. It's such a motivator for me. I was studying patience today and it reference Psalms 46:10... I just smiled when I saw that. Be still and know that I am God. My favorite scripture. I love it! I am working on being the change by improving my patience with God this week. I've got to work on waiting on his timing. how about you?

love y'all,

Sister McCracken

No comments:

Post a Comment