Monday, October 10, 2011

It’s raining, it’s pouring, the missionaries AREN’T snoring. . . (email from 10-10-11)

Posted for Christine by Jana

Here are some pictures she attached to the email. I inserted Christine’s descriptions of what they are, and can I just say that the last picture freaked me out when I first saw it? :

Well there's one of me at the Provo Temple.

DSCN0507The one of just my nametag was Sister White's artisitic creation. I personally love it.

DSCN0518

The weird face picture is Sister Delaplane and I. Oh how I love her. We were best friends the 3 weeks at the MTC. We were always laughing together.

DSCN0528

Well there's me mopping. Oh the joys of cleaning an apartment that has only ever been inhabited by Elders and may never have been cleaned....

DSCN0670

The maroon beauty is our car. Yes, a 2011 Ford Fusion. (Austin can cry right now. ;) ) I am now the primary driver as I told the President I wanted to survive this transfer. Cleopatra (the car) and I are already good friends.

DSCN0678

Umm...the cheesy smile is me attempting to...yeah, smile. That's me in the apartment proving that I still do wear makeup. Haven't let myself go yet ;)

DSCN0688

And the last is a car that totally tripped me out in traffic and made me thing I was in the Forbidden Forest and that Harry Potter was going to show up soon. 

DSCN0689

To my devoted family and friends,

First of all, I have received all the boxes you have sent Mom. Sorry I forgot to answer about the Mission Home ones last week, and yes I've been breaking in the rain coat and umbrella. Last night while we were sleeping was the worst. I didn't get much sleep after 3 am as I think there may have been a monsoon in our parking lot. Its been a few years since I've experienced such loooong heavy rainstorms and spectacular thunder and lightning. Too bad I wanted sleep more than I wanted a show... As to the box it said I never picked up, I went the next morning and got it. Thank you!!! It's nice to not sit in silence during studies and to have some music when I'm cooking. Yes mother, I'm cooking. Surprising, right?!?! You'll also see a picture of me manually mopping the floor. I miss my swiffer... Anyway all the items made it safe and sound with no damage.

Sounds like the weather there took just as crazy a turn as it did here. I had been here a week with warm temps and sunny skies. The past 4 days have been sporatically rainy and sometimes it's overcast. Still warm though! :D Hopefully the boys don't freeze too much on their hunting trip.

Yes, I've still got all the travel money you gave me (minus what I paid to check my luggage, but I was reimbursed on my proselyting card [missionary credit card] so I'm at full funds) and yes I have it hidden. Mine isn't an altoid tin, but I think it is almost as creative a hiding spot. So I think I should be ok. I'll take note and keep it a secret spot.

Things have slowly been picking up here. We are meeting with members and trying to build a relationship with a ward since Sister Patterson prefers to do her work through the members. Statistically converts are more solid if they have been fellowshipped by a member who introduced them to the Church than if we just knocked their door. So I agree with her, but we've also got to fill our days with work, so we finally got out tracting Saturday night. To no avail. The city shuts down on Saturdays for Gator games. Not even ward members would let us in. So we are discussing with President Barry the possibility of moving P-Day to Saturdays at least through the football season since it's essentially an all day event for these people (Drink before the game, watch the game, be drunk/drink more after the game) so we have no hope of meeting new investigators or getting lesson appointments on those days. I'll keep you updated as to if that will happen.

But Church yesterday was amazing, almost every person who got up and bore their testimony talked about how they had shared the gospel with someone that week. So we tracked them all down after sacrament and said LET US HELP!!! So we are hoping to get some referrals this week. We got a referral from a student couple last week, sort of. We have been practicing teaching on them since I don't want my first few lessons to be affecting someones salvation. We asked after our last lesson if they maybe had any referrals and they said "Oh, duh! I can't believe we didn't invite her!" They have a friend who is super interested in the Church and will hopefully come to our next lesson with them this week! Woohoo! We're going to do more tracting this week (I've almost got Sister Patterson convinced it's not as bad as eating pickled beets. But that's about the face she makes when I bring it up haha.) So hopefully we can find some people that way. We tried to find some less actives to reactivate and thus far none of them live there anymore. One apartment we knocked said they had lived there for 3 years and hadn't heard of the person we were looking for. So some of our work is just cleaning up the ward roster. Opening an area is definitely a learning experience. I'll be the best missionary in the FJM after this! haha probably not...but I'll know how to do everything except be in a leadership position...(cross our fingers that doesn't happen while I'm training)

For the pictures I attached I'll try to give little explanations.

Well there's one of me at the Provo Temple. Maybe one like this for my plaque? There's a whole bunch on the SD card I'll send home this week, so you can pick one.

The one of just my nametag was Sister White's artisitic creation. I personally love it.

The weird face picture is Sister Delaplane and I. Oh how I love her. We were best friends the 3 weeks at the MTC. We were always laughing together.

Well there's me mopping. Oh the joys of cleaning an apartment that has only ever been inhabited by Elders and may never have been cleaned....

The maroon beauty is our car. Yes, a 2011 Ford Fusion. (Austin can cry right now. ;) ) I am now the primary driver as I told the President I wanted to survive this transfer. Cleopatra (the car) and I are already good friends.

Umm...the cheesy smile is me attempting to...yeah, smile. That's me in the apartment proving that I still do wear makeup. Haven't let myself go yet ;)

And the last is a car that totally tripped me out in traffic and made me thing I was in the Forbidden Forest and that Harry Potter was going to show up soon.

I'll be sending the SD card home this week so you can see and share more. So for anyone who wants to see more....well....heckle the Momma and the Poppa because they'll have them!

I miss and love you all! Thank you for the support and prayers! I can feel it.

Remember, be the change!

And I, Sister McCracken, make an end of my writings concerning these things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment