Monday, May 20, 2013

summer lovin’ -- email from 05-20-2013

It got real warm here last week! It was up into the 90s the latter part of the week, which of course was the days we planned to walk around. :) Good thing I brought lots of outfit changes. ;) 

Oh boy has it been a week. We started it out working to get the two young girls we are working with ready to be baptized. That was our sole focus. They had their interviews and everything was on the homestretch. I spent time Friday making a program for the baptism and getting all the people we needed to help. Saturday came and we got to go to a missionaries farewell party at the church. And then the unthinkable happened...The little girls great grandma came up to me and said "The baptism is cancelled." My heart fell to the floor. Her parents had been at the Tough Mudder race in St Augustine that day. It's a huge race that happens all over the country that is an obstacle course. At one point they were moving some logs I guess and the people in front of them threw down a log that hit and flipped up another log into the face of these girls mom... ugh... The same tooth I broke in half as a child, well hers is back a quarter inch and no longer has any gums holding it in. So we very definitely had to cancel the baptism. But we are hoping to be able to have it this coming Sunday. Pray no one else gets hit in the face with a log. :)

We also met the sweetest mama every. We call her Miss Betty and she is amazing! She joined the church 20 years ago but recently went less active because of life. The first time we went by just to find out if she still lived there she was just starting to make dinner. She was doin fried fish. I was really intrigued and asked if we could just watch, and suddenly she said she would send some fish with us! So she fried a few fish for us and boxed them up. WOW! How kind is that?!?! And we have gone for a few visits since then and she is just so sweet. She is letting us come over this week to plant some flowers for her. I am so excited. And she said she'll teach me how to do some of her delicious southern recipes. Yay!

We have just been having a great week getting around and getting to know the people here. We also discovered a local dive that is delicious! It's so great! They have they best food! And it's super cheap. So we may be there to eat a lot. :) and try and convert them! haha 

Well, that's all I can think of! love you crazy folks! 

So change... I have been completely revolutionizing the way I see and do the work since I moved to the country. And the other day my companion said "you don't like change do you?" Well, no not really. But I am working to LOVE IT! :)

love y'all,

Sister McCracken

we get to go play with these today! yay for hangin out on people's giant properties! :)

DSCN0207

DSCN0200

No comments:

Post a Comment